Lab tests have confirmed that Hippos dying in the Shire River at Liwonde national park is due to Anthrax infection.
Director of parks and Wild life in the ministry of agriculture Brighton Kumchedwa yesterday said that as a result, the ministry has with immediate effect banned consumption of all bush meat in the southern region until further notice.
He says meanwhile, the number of Hippos that have died at the National park has shot to 28 from 22 last week.
Anthrax is an infection caused by the bacterium Bacillus anthracis. It can occur in four forms: skin, lungs, intestinal, and injection.